Saturday 7 February 2009

Michael is the Mann

This weeks film was Collateral. I've been looking forward to watching this ever since Mike mentioned it, and I have to say its one of my favourite films, OK so I've got a fair few favourites but it's still up there.

First of all I have to say that I love the looks of every Michael Mann film I've seen, there's something about them which gives them style whilst looking different from each other. Miami Vice was another good one which I think used the whole digital camera technique, not to mention Crockett and Tubbs are as cool as a cucumber with shades.


I think that Jamie Foxx played the part of the unlucky and stressed out cab driver well having his freak out moments and doing all he can to escape the situation without success. Tom Cruise also fitted right into the role, showing a cool, calm and collected hit man, who possibly couldn't be any cooler with a gun.

The clash of the very different characters is interesting, Vincent (Tom Cruise) living in the moment and improvising, which is what most of his hits come down to, whilst Max (Jamie Foxx) being a planner, having a schedule, just like with his limo company he is setting up.

The colours used in the film are also worth talking about, with it's acidic colours making L.A. a bleak and seedy looking place.

If you enjoyed this film you really must check out some of Michael Mann's others...

The Kingdom, Miami Vice and Heat

No comments: